NZSSSC REMOVES SANCTION FOR LIGHTWEIGHT ROWING
The board of NZSSSC has resolved that NZSSSC will not provide a sanction for lightweight rowing events within the NISS, SISS and Maadi Cup Rowing Championship regattas.
The decision has been informed by the position of International and National rowing bodies, concerns for the health & safety of students and NZSSSC’s responsibility to reflect the wishes of the majority of principals of schools that are involved in rowing competitions;
- The International Rowing Federation (FISA), through its medical commission, does not allow junior lightweight rowing.
- RowingNZ Board and Rowing New Zealand/NZSSRA Schools Committee support the removal of lightweight rowing from school regattas.
- The expert medical advice from the British Rowing’s Honorary Medical Advisor and Chief Medical Officer for the London 2012 Olympic Games that “excessive weight loss, fasting, or calorie-controlled diets could have a serious effect on the growth and maturation of young people”.
- Evidence provided of an analysis of results at school regattas by NZSSRA Schools Committee show that at school level lightweight rowers are not significantly disadvantaged with many winning medals in open grades.
- A clear 66% majority of principals, as members of NZSSRA, voted for the removal of lightweight rowing from school regattas in 2016.